So I discovered today is National Dance Day. Seriously, am I the only one who’s been wondering where all of these “national days” are coming from all of a sudden? Anyway, I’ll use today to throw in a little info about myself. Dancing was one of my favorite hobbies growing up. Both sides of my family have musical talent, whether it be dancing, singing, or playing an instrument. I’ve dabbled in a little of each, but nothing tops my love for dance.
To further break down my experience, here’s what I’ve learned:
- First dance class was ballet at age 4
- Took Jazz class at age 9
- Joined song leading (dance team) in high school and was a member for 2 years.
- Took a hip-hop class during senior year of high school. Competed in my first dance competition and performed at the dance school’s end of the year show. Also performed at a half time show during an NBA game.
- Took a hula and Tahitian class with a friend the summer before I transferred schools in college. Performed in my first and last Tahiti Fete.
- Learned several Filipino folk dances in college and performed in my school’s Filipino Cultural Night for 4 years.
- Learned more dances from a local Filipino dance troupe post college and performed at 2 more NBA games for Filipino Heritage Night.
Although it takes me much longer to learn and memorize an 8-count now, I still take advantage of the opportunity to shake a leg and bust a move when I can. With that, I’ll finish off this post with my favorite animated dance scene from A Charlie Brown Christmas.